Come join this hands-on collaboration between the London Writers Society and London Community Players on Sept. 25.
- Presented as part of Culture Days by The Palace Theatre
- Featuring Barry Tepperman of London Community Players and Buddy Young of the London Writers Society
- Saturday, Sept. 25, 2010, 11 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- Palace Theatre, 710 Dundas Street, London
- Free, open to public
- Web page: Culture Days | Celebration Schedule | Taking a play from concept to casting
- Contact: Barb Chambers (past president, London Writers Society), 519-673-2426, lcpbarb[at]yahoo[dot]com
Greeting by London Writers Society and London Community Players
11:15 a.m. to 12:45 p.m.
London Writers Society member Buddy Young presents his play THE GUARDS
THE GUARDS is an intense, character-driven drama that explores the tensions between a corrections officer, a violent anarchist and a Mennonite pastor, trapped together in a courthouse on a night of G20 Summit riots. Buddy will discuss where he got his idea for the play, how to research your subject, and the critique process. Audience members will be asked to volunteer to read a portion of the play, so participants can experience the impact of character reading to further the process of fine tuning a play. Some time will be spent discussing the next step after the editing of a play.
Buddy Young is a London resident, a professional writer, writing instructor and a Simon Fraser University Ph.D. candidate in the final year of a doctorate focused on the teaching of fiction writing. He is the secretary of the London Writers Society.
12:45 p.m. to 1:15 p.m.
1:15 p.m. to 2:45 p.m.
Everything You Wanted to Know About Auditions but Were Afraid To Ask
A fascinating look into the inner workings of theatre auditions. Learn how to audition and get that part. Barry Tepperman, a favourite director at The Palace Theatre and for London Community Players productions, will work with the audience to demonstrate ‘cold readings,’ tips to polish your audition technique, and will give the audience a real hands-on workshop on best audition practices. Barry will use sides from Buddy Young’s play THE GUARDS and encourage participants to read specific roles. The audience, acting in the role of Casting Director, will provide encouragement and feedback to the participants, allowing them to polish up their audition skills. Barry will also detail for the group the role of Producer and Director of a play.
LCP Director, Barry Tepperman (The Shadowbox, The Palace Theatre, Feb. 2009, and The Tale of the Allergist’s Wife, The Palace Theatre, Jan. 2011)
- The Palace Theatre is home to London Community Players and Musical Theatre Productions.
- The London Writers Society offers information, support, community, and exposure for London area writers at all levels of experience and in all genres of writing.
- Culture Days is a collaborative pan-Canadian volunteer movement to raise the awareness, accessibility, participation and engagement of all Canadians in the arts and cultural life of their communities.